In accordance with new General Data Protection Regulations May 2018 we Purley Pre-School (of @Long Lane Primary School, Long Lane, Tilehurst, Berkshire, RG31 6YG) are required to inform you of why, where and how we gather and store any personal information about your family and your child.
The new legislation requires early years providers to obtain permission from parents to gather store and share information about their child. As an early years provider, it is a statutory requirement for us to have the following information before a child can start at our setting.
- Childs name
- Childs DOB
- Parental responsibility
- Parents contact details
- Emergency contact details
- Drs name and contact details
- Any medical details
- Any other relevant information that may affect the care or wellbeing of your child during their time with us.
Wherever possible parental permission will be sought before sharing data, but data may be shared with OFSTED, the Local Authority (in respect of funding for instance), the Local Children’s Safeguarding Board, Emergency Services or HMRC for instance unless informing parents would place the child in immediate danger, in this case information will be shared without parental permission.
Parental permission will be sought prior to sharing any information with outside agencies such as heath visitors, childminders, nurseries, schools, the Local Authority, Speech and Language Therapists etc.
Telephone numbers are stored on the pre-school mobile phone and we will continue to use this method to contact you unless told otherwise. Other contact details are stored on a password protected laptop. We use Tapestry – an online learning journey to share photos and track children’s development with parents and obtain written consent to do so.
Records of children’s information and development are stored both electronically and on paper. Paper records including registration forms are stored securely in a cupboard and are not accessible to anyone other than pre-school staff without parents’ permission.
We are also required under Ofsted regulations to record your child’s development under the Early Years Foundation Stage, this includes taking photographs to use in the child’s learning journey, Permission will be sought from parents for their own child’s image to be included in other children’s learning journeys (such as photographs of group play) on the understanding that once that child leaves, the photos then become the property of that child’s parents and we no longer have responsibility for them.
Your rights as a ‘data subject’
- You have a right to know what personal data about you or your child is being held. You can request to see their personal data by way of a subject access request.
- You have a right to withdraw consent at any time, other than where there is a lawful or legal basis for retaining information. This will include data such as, but not restricted to, accidents or incidents involving a child in our care which must be kept until a child reaches 21 years and 3 months of age.
- The right to erasure – You may insist on the deletion or removal of their personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing. Deletion must be permitted within the law. If a parent requires us to delete or destroy any information about their child once they have left Purley Pre-School we will discuss the information with them and explain which parts can be deleted and which information must be kept to comply with Ofsted registration and insurance requirements.
- You have a right to lodge a complaint with the ICO.